Forums

• "-Flares for Jets and Choppers now reload at 11 seconds again, except for the gunner, which remains unchanged at 20sec."

The above is one of the changes being made in the new patch. Currently, as the game is, it has been near impossible to take down choppers using Stingers and the Igla. The deployment of flares vs the length of locking time and the reload time for stingers come very close to 20 seconds. And since Stingers do so little damage to choppers, it takes a minimum to two hits to scare them off, let alone take them down.

Thus, the change they're making in the new patch is going to ruin the game, imho. I don't care how many other good changes they've made, this one change is going to ruin gameplay.

I'm more about a wait-and-see these days. But, I'm not hopeful with this presented change. It's just my opinion that they're about to screw things up big time with the choppers. The flyboys with their glitch flying and exploits will be invincible. May have to start playing infantry only servers...and what fun is that? Didn't like it in bf2 and I won't like it in bf3. Just sayin'. Felt like bitchin'. Enjoy yer day. That is all.

Oh, no. One more thing:
    "-The IGLA and Stinger now lock on much more quickly and disable an attack aircraft in 1 hit, but have significantly reduced range. This should allow Stingers to mount an effective close range point defense, without dominating an entire airspace."

Who the frak are they kidding? Lies! Hell, you have to be standing right next to the damn chopper now before you can lock onto the damn thing. Dominate airspace? Goddamn flyboy wrote that fuckin' line.

• Even I'll agree to some of that even though I feel like I should be rooting for the other team here. I can understand why you might feel that way about it, but I just want to ask you a question. Do you feel like the Stinger should 1 shot a chopper across the whole map?

A chopper has to get in somewhat close if he wants to kill anything or at least give his gunner some action. You don't think what you're implying there would be something that would ruin the game?

Every vehicle in this game has a weakness and that would be the enemy team. If all it took to take down a chopper or a tank were one missile (and in some cases it is) then what fun would that be? If you had just one squad of guys that really worked together, then they alone could do a lot of damage just using soflam/jav. It makes it more fun and interesting that way anyways.

It's like those times when you see a tank roll up and you notice like 10 guys around the flag and you just know this guy is gonna go down quick. Rockets start hitting him from every direction and he's spinning in all directions cause he doesn't know who to shoot. To me, it's times like that that make this game non-stop fun and what seems like there's always crazy stuff happening. I'd want it to be a challenge to take down a tough vehicle. I can't think of a much more fulfilling time other than when you manage to take out a tank all by yourself. You blew up a war machine after 4 or 5 consecutive rockets.

...OR ...

You can shoot a chopper once with incredible range and everyone and their mother can have some of that pie so in case a chopper flies by, they have a weapon that gives choppers very little chance to survive anywhere on the map.

*hops off soapbox*

• Yeah, the Jav/Soflam combo can go after a chopper a long way off and be ultra effective, but the stingers do not have such distance nor are they effective. The distance they can lock will be reduced and it's already a race against the choppers flares. Now, you won't be able to beat the flares at all. Good chopper pilots are already going 35 and 2 during a round. Allowing them to do even better...no, that's not a challenge, nor fun in the least.

Would love for it to go back to Desert Combat where stingers didn't lock and flew straight and it took skill to discern where the chopper pilot was going. If the chopper wanted to live, they had to fly like they wanted to survive and not just merrily swoop around killing everything that moves like in BF3.

But yeah, there are two sides to it. Skilled pilots want to have huge scores. Infantry just want to live long enough after they spawn to enjoy the game. Meh. I guess we'll see how this patch plays out. Like I said, I'm not too hopeful.

Moderator(s): SiteAdmin, WizLoco, ANTONOVKGB, GetaLife[KGB], impcfast, yellowmanKGB, Thorn, Boogiemnstr